SCPS Pre-International Baccalaureate Preparatory
Program at Sanford Middle School
Students may enroll in the SCPS Pre-International Baccalaureate Preparatory program which is available to academically challenge students and to help prepare students for honors, Advanced Placement, or International Baccalaureate high school courses/program. The SCPS Pre-IB Preparatory Program is usually taken by college-bound students who want to be academically challenged and accelerated. These courses follow a different, more rigorous and faster paced curriculum than the standard level course strand. Students are expected to invest more time in homework, projects, research activities, and community service as well as perform at a higher level than in the standard level course. This program requires an application through the Choices Office.
The SCPS Pre-IB Preparatory Program program prepares students for the International Baccalaureate Program at the 11th & 12 grade levels at Seminole High School. The advantages of the IB program include:
- Rigorous academic preparation for college
- An internationally recognized diploma honored by colleges and universities throughout the world
- Advanced placement and course credit (as much as one year) in many prestigious colleges and universities
- Examinations based on international standards and evaluated by international educators
- Curriculum taught from a global perspective incorporating the best educational elements from around the world
- Faculty trained by International Baccalaureate North America
- A sense of accomplishment in meeting the challenge of an international standard of excellence
- Participation in an interdisciplinary team of dedicated students
- A world class education in Seminole County
Although the SCPS Pre-International Baccalaureate Preparatory Program is an intense and rigorous academic program, the SCPS Pre-IB Preparatory Program is designed to prepare students incrementally for success at that high level of performance. Support programs are in place and continue to be developed to assist students to find success and meet the requirement of both the SCPS Pre-IB Preparatory Program and IB programs. A special program Project ACCESS: is an acronym for All Can Contribute with Educational Support and Standards is designed to meet students' needs. With this program, students will "fast-forward" (:) to success. This is a comprehensive program that is based upon the concept that all students can learn and become a positive contributor to our society when they have had the appropriate educational support to reach high standards. High standards are the basis of this program, partnered with the belief that these standards are attainable for all students when provided appropriate educational support.
No entrance requirements are mandated; however, students are required to maintain a 3.0 (B average) to remain in the program. Successful completion of the SCPS Pre-IB program at Sanford Middle will allow acceptance in the program at Seminole High School.
APPLICATION - Application forms are available in all elementary and middle school guidance offices and the Educational Support Center.
TRANSPORTATION - Transportation to school will be provided to all students living more than 2 miles from the school.